This project has been our biggest renovation to date. We ended up buying it at auction for 201,000, greatly discounted. It had amazing potential due to the location. It was within walking distance of North Hills, but just inside the beltline – the best of both worlds. It was a ranch with a walk out basement and view of a creek in the back yard. Although it had 5 bedrooms (3 bdrms up, 2 down), they were small and poorly laid out. The basement, however, had 10.5 foot ceilings… hmmm, thats handy. We knew that we could maximize our resale price with an upscaled renovation, but it would require changing the entire layout. We had some house drawings done and started renovations. Here is what we did:
- opened up the previously closed off living, dining, kitchen spaces, and raised the ceiling height to 12.5 feet
- renovated and expanded kitchen to include a custom island
- flip the staircase to change the layout of the basement and create a loft type feel.
- created a master suite complete with walkin closet trey ceilings
- turned corner bedroom into an ajoining master bathroom with vaulted ceilings and claw foot tub
- renovated upstairs hall bath with new dimensions
- renovated the upstairs bedroom with new dimensions
- turned the basement stairs to improve flow
- created two more bedrooms, one of which is a secondary master
- made a laundry room
- created a media room
- opened up a second living space that could have multiples uses.